- 350 g thin-cut minute steak , very thinly sliced into strips
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced, green and white parts separated
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- ginger thumb-sized piece , cut into matchsticks
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- cooked noodles to serve (optional)
- prawn crackers to serve (optional)
in a bowl take beef and toss in the cornflour and five-spice.
Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan until hot, then add the beef and fry until golden and crisp.
Scoop out the beef and drain on kitchen paper. Pour away all but 1 tbsp oil.
Add the pepper, chilli(half), the white ends of the spring onions, ginger and garlic to the pan.
Stir-fry for 3 mins to soften, but don’t let the garlic and ginger burn.
Mix the soy,vinegar, chilli sauce and ketchup in a jug and add 2 tbsp water, then pour over the veg.
Bubble for 2 mins, then add the beef back to the pan and toss well to coat.